How to get there
Directions to Sneeuberg Nature Reserve
- Take the N9 to Middelburg. Do not take the first turnoff to Nieu Bethesda
- After 47 km from Graaff Reinet – turn left at the 2nd turnoff to Nieu Bethesda on to a gravel road. (There will be a power station building on your left)
- It is about 300 meters after the turn off to Cradock- slow down as it is over a rise. (This is Bethesda Road, an old railway station.)
- Having passed the old station houses, turn right at signs to: SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE 28km (Blaauwater etc.)
- Soon after this turn off there is no cellphone reception.
(Do not attempt this road during or after heavy rain. The road gets very slippery. If you are unsure continue to Middelburg and follow instructions from Middelburg.)
- If conditions are fine drive slowly and follow this road for about 20 km. Turn right at a sign to SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE. On the left is a tall solar panel.
- After about 8 km you will arrive at Gordonville – a house with gables.
- Zuurfontein is a further 4 kilometers on your left where there is cell phone reception.
- If you are going to Kliphuis please check in at Zuurfontein from where Scott and Ann Woodborne, our managers, will take you to Kliphuis.
- For The Poplars and Karoo Cottage continue on past Zuurfontein for about 6 kilometers, until you come to a T junction. Turn left, The Polars is on your left after 300m.
- Take the R398 to Richmond. First few kilometres tar road, then gravel road.
- After 20 km from Middelburg turn left at the sign: Graaff Reinet via Gordonville.
- Soon after this turn off there will be no cellphone reception.
- After 20 km (having passed Neusberg farms - Rooiwal/Klein Rooiwal/Twiskraal) turn left at the sign: SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE - Gordonville; Zuurfontein; Hartebeesplaas
- Zuurfontein is on your right after about 6 kilometers, where there is some cellphone reception.
- Gordonville is a further 4 kilometers.
- For The Poplars and Karoo Cottage – do not turn left. Carry on, and after 300m The Poplars is on your left.
- Drive on the NI direction Cape Town
- At Colesburg take the N9 to Middelburg
- Then follow directions from Middelburg
- Coming from Cape Town follow the N1 direction Bloemfontein. After Beaufort West pass Three Sisters, and then Richmond. About 2km after Richmond turn right on the R398 to MIDDELBURG - a gravel road. Do not drive fast on this road.
- After about 80 km on the gravel road turn right at a sign: COMPASSBERG; GORDONVILLE
- At this point there is cellphone reception which will last for a few kilometres.
- After 12 km pass Sunny Dell farm on your right. Drive slowly!!
- Go through 2 deep dips, and then turn left at the sign: SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE (Compassberg straight on)
- After 8 km (having passed The Poplars) turn right at the sign: SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE; Gordonville; Zuurfontein; Hartebeesplaas
- After 6 km Zuurfontein is on your right.
- After a further 4 kilometers Gordonville is on your left.
There are two ways to reach Sneeuberg Nature Reserve from Cradock.
- Take the R61 direction Graaff-Reinet.
- After 90 kilometers you come to a T crossing. Turn right on the N9.
- After about 300 meters turn left onto a gravel road at the sign to Nieu Bethesda.
- This is Bethesda Road, an old railway station.
- After less than 1 km - just after the railway houses turn right at signs to: SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE 28km; Blaauwater etc.
- Soon after this turn off there will be no more cellphone reception.
- After about 20 km turn right at a sign to SNEEUBERG NATURE RESERVE.
- On the left is a tall solar panel.
- After about 8 km (having passed Bergplaas) you will arrive at Gordonville house with gables and a grey roof.
- Zuurfontein is a further 4 kilometres on your left where there is cell phone reception.
Do not attempt this road after heavy rain or snow. Please call before leaving Cradock about the condition of the roads.
Or – take the safer route via Middelburg
- Take the N10 to Middelburg 90km.
- Follow directions from Middelburg.